View Poll Results: What system is best for hobby scraper?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • oxy/acetylene

7 53.85%
  • oxy/gasoline

0 0%
  • saw or other

6 46.15%

Getting Started/ Oxy-gasoline torch

| Tools and Equipment
    Reobert Stenger started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Getting Started/ Oxy-gasoline torch

Hey, I have never done any scrap work before but am looking to do some part time this summer. I was wondering if anyone has used or heard much about the gasoline torch system rather than acetylene everything i can find is positive except the higher starting price?

I will be scrapping mostly old farm equipment, a few vehicles, trailer frames, and some appliances.

What would be the best tool for the job?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    oxy propane, cheaper than acetylene,

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    but acetylene will cut easier as it burns hotter, thus cleaner cuts and capability of cutting thicker metals

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    have you ever run a torch? I should have said, take a weekend quick course, don't really want people blowing themselves up now, it's easy to run them, and easy to run them wrong and have a major catastrophe on your hands. And watching youtube videos is not acceptable as training, half of these wieners have never had any formal training.

5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by MilitiaMetals:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    oxy/acetylene burns hotter an works faster.

Acetylene bottle can last a very long time. You don't need much for it to work good but with propane you need a higher gas amount in the long run.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    The thread said hobby scrppers soooo, $25 for a grinder vs $200 for torch set up ?
    most hobbiests are noobs or work with smaller products. i.e. cutting a finger with the grinder vs. setting the house on fire with a torch. Hard to cut the copper windings off with a torch now if your talking cars or larger that is a different situation. I have both but use the grinder much more. just my 2c

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    Kris Kringle

Hmm..something to think about. When I was a pipe fitter we all ways used the acetylene to cut an propane to heat (using the weed-burner can...works great for some preheating/to remove ice)

Will have to try propane to cut an see if I like it or not

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    been welding for 12 years, propane in my experience is ok, but personally prefer acetelyne. But when i do get a torch on the truck i will run propane, its more readily available......ie gas stations, whereas acetelyne is not, can only get it in one place in a 40 mile radius of where i live

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Propane allows you to do more cutting for less $$, at least going with our local prices here. I've never really noticed it taking longer on a job than acetylene (we use both at work). One minor thing about propane is that the flame goes out a lot easier than it does with acetylene, so if you do most of your cutting outside in a really windy area, that -might- be enough of an annoyance for you to stick with acetylene. We use acetylene for our smaller torch/bottle set that gets rolled around the yard just for that reason.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'd be interested in seeing your setups. I just bought a 36" cutting torch off ebay and have a new Harbor Freight oxy/acetalyene torch kit that I plan on using the hoses and regulators with the torch.

Got a line a big 1/2" wall 12" diameter pipe that if I cut up and sell as prep #1 should pay for the whole setup.

What sort of bottle do you guys use? Are you using the small propane cylinders you get at gas stations with this? I want something I can move around easy on a jobsite.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Re-cycler View Post
    Funny though I have never heard or seen one in use on any job or indutrial site I've been on........Here it is..... http://www.petrogen.com/
    ;?)
    Wow, that's pretty impressive, esp. the part where he's cutting through that 4" rod. I wonder what the price is?

13. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. How to get started on e-scrap
      By Starmex in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 11-26-2012, 10:11 AM
    2. oxy clean copper?
      By ParkerFlyer4 in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 07-14-2012, 08:06 PM
    3. Things you can do with unusable gasoline.
      By zakmattingly in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 08-12-2011, 08:49 PM

Thread Information