Buying e-scrap advise plz

| Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
    ParkerFlyer4 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Buying e-scrap advise plz

I just came across a good business deal and I need to offer him some prices. I offered $3 to $4 per tower depending, but I am wondering what some of you would pay for things like:
    Printers
    keyboards
    mice
    cords
    monitors
    etc etc.
    I know, normally, you would take these things for free. But If it came down to getting a bunch, and a consistent supply, what would you offer to get the gig? per unit? per lb? I am unsure if he gets paid for these things at all, as of now. but I'm thinking i'll take the monitors for free or no deal. But the misc computer scrap is what I am unsure about.
    Thanks for any advise. And wish me luck!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Still nothing. Monitors...if CRT... strongly consider all aspects of the arrangement before even accepting them for free. I did have a convenient outlet for the glass, but now I do not....so I only accept them rarely.. specifically when accompanied by large amount of more valuable items.

I think most of us have pulled in loads and ended up with hundreds of pounds of waste that has little value, but must still be dealt with.

3. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Enoch43:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 583 Posts
    Take the mice cords and keyboards for free to offset the monitors (as long as you can get rid of them...ie best buy or goodwill recycle program after stripping). Printers can be worth money as parts machines or if you pull the trays ect and sell on ebay along with the cartridges....maybe if you are generous $1-2 per if you are comfortable moving those and you are not haveing to deal with pallet loads of them. I take printers whenever they show up and make money on them every time. Bonus if you have a plastic buyer or even a recycler near you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to webuyselltradestuff for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 3,854 Posts
    I don't pay for Keyboards, mice or cords. If you throw them in as part of the deal, I will take them. Printers..if the cheapie home kind, again I don't pay. I don't get the big commerical ones everyone on here talks about. If I did it might be a different story. CRT monitors I will take as part of a load, or if my thrift store clients have some that need to be gone. Luckily I can drop the carcasses off at my landfill, as they recently changed their policy an stopped charging for such. Same with TV's. Again I only take them tho with other stuff. Otherwise I've instituted a 5.00 charge per tube to offset my gas. Driving to the landfill with 50 odd tubes in a van is a killer on the ol'mpg, not to mention my back..lol.

A good example..Bought a load awhile back..60 something towers. Dude tossed in about 300 keyboards, I don't even know how many mice( I still haven't got around to cutting the cords off..heh) but a big box of'm! Along with a bunch of speakers for PC's. That was all free goodies except the towers. The keyboards I broke down for the mylar, and I was happy with the profit I made on them. The speakers..well they suck..the cords are good, but lots of plastic. I can say I won't need magnets for a good long time tho..LOL.

I've toyed with the idea of buying wire/cords, at lest locally. Not sure how well it'd work statewide cause I know I wouldn't pay as much as the yards do. Once I get to thinking about implementing my cord buying strategy, my thrift store contacts give me a ton an I put buying them on the back burner..why buy if you can get'm free.

Just how I do it..an what works for me may not for you or others.

Sirscrapalot - One man's theology is another man's belly laugh. - Robert A. Heinlein

7. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by Sirscrapalot:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,465 Times in 1,990 Posts
    Monitors, keyboards, mice, and small printers to me are mostly rubbish that leaves me a pile of stuff there's not much I can do with. My limit is basically one each per tower, strictly one each per tower for CRTs

9. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Bear:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks for the input. I do have a free crt disposal place. I'm thinking of paying shred price for printers. and hopefully he will throw in keyboards and stuff. Hopefully.
    I'm looking for some numbers on keyboards. How much you can get for silver mylars? and how many make a lb.?
    I will talk to him later today and hopefully close the deal. I'll let you guys know how it worked out.

Edit: found the mylar info with search function

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    I wouldn't pay for any of the things you listed but would take them off his hands if he wanted them gone. I don't know what you plan on doing with the printers, maybe your yard will take them whole as shred if so don't pay shred price for them. If you are going to brake them down your not going to make much more than shred after you put in your time braking them down. If you have to buy them in order to land the deal then don't pay more than .04# or half of shred price. Crt monitors, if you have a place to get rid of the tubes for free then .50-1.00 ae tops. Key boards take about 25 to get 1# of mylar but remember not all key boards have mylar, I think the older IBM's had steel plates with a circuit board and all the keys are soldered on to the board with the steel plate in between. Also some buyers of the mylar won't buy the mylar that have the black line or dots on them. Mylar was going for 4.00# until silver prices dropped, the last ones I sold I got 3.00# but they might have gone down again. Mice I would not buy at all, nothing in them except for a small low grade board. Cords I would pay 50% of your yard price. I would not pay more than 3.00 for towers unless they had gold cap processors and at least two sticks of memory, less if they colored mother boards. It might work out better for you if you could put everything together and offer him one price for everything. But then that's just what I would do. Good luck and let us know how things work out for ya.

12. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by happyscraper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I wouldn't pay more than $4 per complete tower.
    Every complete tower would include a keyboard, mouse, power cables and 1 crt.
    Charge for any crts that do not have a tower with them.
    Everything else is free removal.

14. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by quaz:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    When I have absolutely nothing going on I have been known to pay up to 50 cents for a monitor. Only when I'm desperate though.

Mice, keyboards, speakers, printers, cords, and everything else I try to get for free. If they are set on getting paid something I offer $0.02 per pound.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    I pay nothing for all of the above except for cords which get a price anywhere from 10 cents a pound to 25 cents a pound depending on how many transformers are in there.
    "64K should be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates 1981
    http://www.treasurecoastelectronicrecycling.com/

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Cords have transformers in them?

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat View Post
    Cords have transformers in them?
    Wall warts have them.

P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

19. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    Yes as pictured above, cords have transformers on them. Pretty simple.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to parrothead for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Buying Specialty Escrap of all kinds, resale grade computer parts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 919 Posts
    crts 50 cents, 25 cents if cords been cut off

keyboards 10 cents, mouse 5 cents, cords 50 cents pound, printers will take for free
    I buy and sell all types of scrap and escrap. I buy specialty and hard to sell escrap. I buy resale items. PM me or contact me at jghilino@hotmail.com
    I AM ACTIVELY BUYING ESCRAP OF ALL TYPES. BOARDS, RAM, CPUS AND MUCH MORE

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Well, I got the gig! We haven't sorted out all the details yet, But I will get the extras with the purchase of the towers.
    Thanks guys. This is my first big step, and I thank SMF!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ParkerFlyer4 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    Congrats!!! Let us know how you make out. How many towers did you get?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirscrapalot View Post
    I can say I won't need magnets for a good long time tho..LOL.

Sirscrapalot - One man's theology is another man's belly laugh. - Robert A. Heinlein
    don't scrap yards buy magnets ? speaker and microwave magnets?

27. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. newbie needs help.. plz
      By Sargodhaco in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 12-17-2012, 09:58 PM
    2. Advice plz, Do I sort these connectors?
      By Blue in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 10-18-2012, 10:42 PM
    3. need help plz!
      By aplascec1a in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 21
      Last Post: 01-30-2012, 10:22 PM

Thread Information