msearl3244 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

home made work bench and tool charging station

Here is a few things we have done with scrap in our shop.

1) First is a bench that is made out of a 80's era telecom cabinet. These cabinets were built VERY HEAVY to cut down on vibration. The interesting thing about this cabinet is that my own Dad installed this equipment while on the construction crew for the telephone company. This equipment was in service from 1983 until July of 2012. Then about 30 years later he worked with me in scrapping the same equipment.

The cabinet was being cut up and after we had cut one side of it off we started using it for a table of sorts to prop other things up to cut up. After the winter we were trying to move it around a bit to use it. My partner decided to put pneumatic tires on it so that we would have a rolling heavy stand up work bench. It is a staple in our operation now. I actually wish I had kept a few more for the same purpose.

2) This is an old cabinet that was use for a dot matrix printer. We wired it with power and put all of our charges in it for our cordless power tools. This was done to keep metal dust, (from grinding and cut-off tools), from settling inside to openings for the chargers. Also we set it up to separate the charged batteries from the dead ones. That is what the + and - is for in the bottom of the cabinet. The system seems to be working well.

3) The third and final pictures are of a system we use as fans in the summer and to recycle the heat from the peak of our building in the winter from our outside, forced air, wood stove. It was built using a scrapped squirrel cage fan and some particle board that was used to made a shipping crate with that had electronics in that we picked up. It forced a large amount of air down and into 2 separate sections of our shop. It is very effective at heating and cooling.

We use scrap all of the time to put stuff together. We tend to try to keep various pieces of steel and wood around for re-purposing. Re-purposing is just another why to maximize scrapping profit. I have had caster, wheels, electric motors and other scrap that has come in handy all over my shop as well as friends shops. I even had a local college that was trying to make a table mobile while I was there picking up. I gave them the wheels back off of a piece of their own scrap and helped them attach them. They were very grateful and have been very generous with their scrap before and after that time.

P.S. I will put the pictures of the ScrapMetalForum.com in front of this stuff when I go back out to the shop later today.

1) Monster Movable Table

A)

B)

C)

2) Ceiling Fan on Steroids...LOL

A)

B)

C)

3) Cordless Tool Charging Station

A)

B)

C)
    There may a million better places to live than Iowa, but none of them are home!

2. The Following 7 Users say Thank You for This Post by msearl3244:

3. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Photos of My work station, My home away from home
      By Scrapcrazy in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 29
      Last Post: 11-10-2017, 11:05 PM
    2. My Home MAde Wire Stripper
      By bejak in forum Tools and Equipment
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 07-08-2014, 07:17 AM
    3. Work Bench - Made from Ladder Rack and other stuff
      By taterjuice in forum Made From Scrap