Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I miss re-cycler

| Off Topic Discussions
    Dumpster-Dee started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

I miss re-cycler

I was really shocked by Re-cycler's choice to leave us the way he did. His posts and pictures were so enjoyable and informative. It's funny how we can get attached to people on a forum, of all things. Well, I know several couples who met on social networks, but there are e-mails, then phone calls, then, the scary meeting thing. I enjoyed re-cyclers sense of humor and I'll miss that.
    It does feel a little like a death to me. RIP re-cycler.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dumpster-Dee for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    Why did he leave? I was out of the office..

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I tried to find the post for you but I couldn't. He recommended a competitive forum in Canada to someone and admin deleted it. That made re-cycler furious and he deleted all his posts !

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    OOO so thats why some of his posts where just dots...

well you really should no go posted about other forum sites...never a smart thing to do if you ask me.....

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I tried to find the post for you but I couldn't.
    It's still there, in Off Topic.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I don't believe he was trying to promote the d
    Site as much as suggesting, that some of the people on here could teach a few things to the few people on that board. Did anyone get a chance to see the board? It was lacking to say the least. Lacking in material it seemed lacking in members. I think the title was even somthing about helping out fellow scrappers in Canada.

I understand his reasons for getting upset, I don't believe that board was competition in any way.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Unfortunately the guy deleted most of his posts and completely jacked up the convo in a ton of threads to the point alot of them are worthless. Cowboy up and just leave if it's that big of a deal. Just don't puke all over before you go. Alot of good content got trashed yesterday because somebody couldn't act like an adult and just walk with his rep intact. Last thing anyone will remember about him is his dumping of all his posts. Nice and classy.....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Victor for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I was wondering why his posts were all periods. Mystery solved. Shame it happened though, some folks take things a little too personal.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If the whole point of this forum is to help people with scrapping then it should be OK to link to other forums that might have other information on it. I would have been upset about this too as it would seem like the flow of knowledge was being restricted thus defeating the purpose of this site. However I wouldn't have went through and deleted all past helpful postings as this would be a contradiction of my reason for disagreement.
    Eat. Sleep. Scrap.

12. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by zakmattingly:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zakmattingly View Post
    If the whole point of this forum is to help people with scrapping then it should be OK to link to other forums that might have other information on it. I would have been upset about this too as it would seem like the flow of knowledge was being restricted thus defeating the purpose of this site. However I wouldn't have went through and deleted all past helpful postings as this would be a contradiction of my reason for disagreement.
    It's never okay to send members off to another forum with the same focus. If you feel it fits a specific person send them a PM, but I would have done the same thing on my forum.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Maybe the way he left wasn't the best, I'm a little perplexed by the Forum's stance on what started this whole ordeal myself, and a little clarification would be nice. Canadian Forum really posed no threat, I'm no forum expert, but as I stated before, I never even gave this issue a second thought. The idea of a forum is to share info, IMHO, and if that means getting some good info from another source everyone could benefit. I'm confident that this forum is the best out there, and the Mods here should have that confidence as well, my bet is you would increase membership not loose members by allowing some networking of that nature.

In order to receive a Level 5 certification from USA Hockey I was required to attend a conference that had coaches represented at all levels. From youth hockey to NHL coaches, we had the opportunity to pick each others brains so that we could become better coaches. Many of us would battle each other in upcoming games in the next season but that was the furthest thing from our minds, we wanted to be the best we were capable of being and sharing info was how we chose to do it. It was incredible to listen to someone that was an NHL coach explain how they did something to teach a point in practice and then listen just a intently to how I did things at the youth level.

Whoever created this forum, ya done good and you shouldn't be afraid to let competition takes it's coarse. Instead of trying to ignore it by deleting posts that may leave you vulnerable, let it continue to challange yourself to be the best...Just my 2 cents not even sure what the whole story was, done rambling now.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

15. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by KzScrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    well it is not polite to pee in some one elses pool but we have all done it. so that said common back Re we need ya here, both Re and the site kind of over reacted in my view but I can understand both positions.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Oh and Dee, sorry if I did the highjack thing. I liked Re's posts and pics as well.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,558 Posts
    That is how I found this site, a member on another fourum posted a few other scrap metal sites. The post is still there...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Nah, no prob.....I can see both sides, too. I'm very disappointed in the way he left...and what he did to some of our threads...if you ARE still here Re-cycler, you need to learn from this...your behavior was vengeful, vituperative, and villainous. You disappointed us all. But we'll still miss you.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 549 Posts
    Hey everybody, going to chime in here.

Let me clarify a couple things,

Threads will get deleted here and there, moderation will take its course. The forum he linked to wasn't really a competing forum in my opinion, I checked it out and it wasn't a big deal. Apparently, at first glance it could have appeared to be a competing forum of some sort, so many of the comments are correct about that assumption, but I don't think it was, however that's not necessarily why the thread was deleted.

The forum had no activity, no active members, and absolutely NO helpful content on it whatsoever. It was a near completely empty forum which added no value at all to the members of this one. Not really a big deal in itself, which is why the thread stayed up for a while, BUT Then he kept bumping that same thread with his own new replies because he or the empty site he linked to didn't get any response from it the first time it was posted here.

What the problem is, is how this person reacted to a simple deletion of a thread. He could quickly and easily have sent myself or a moderator a quick PM, could have used the 'contact us' link at the bottom of the forum, etc. Instead he decided to create a new thread, stir up a negative discussion and throw a fit and went back changing all of his posts in several threads to a bunch of nonsense in the form of ---------.

That's not only uncalled for, but disrespectful to all the members of this forum, and disrespecting this forum and/or the members of this forum won't be tolerated. Usually we handle things with simple moderation and/or send quick private messages to members doing something questionable, but when people start acting out the way re-cycler did, well that just gives off a bad vibe and we won't have that here. This forum is for you guys to use and enjoy, for free, and you shouldn't have to deal with the kind of nonsense we saw going on yesterday because of a harmless deletion of a thread.

21. The Following 6 Users say Thank You for This Post by admin:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I think we're all with you admin. Thanks

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,332 Times in 513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Kringle View Post
    He is most likely here under a Different name because that other site has not got more then 5 members since april.

Just Saying
    He knows he got kicked off and knows it was a mistake to delete all his posts. He joined that other forum and is the only poster since April. Admin is right, there is NO usefulness to us from that site.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Kringle View Post
    So I guess on that Point it isn't ok to Post youtube links about Scrapping Either Huh?
    I wouldn't see a problem with posting to Youtube useful sites, just as we've linked to many others - ie: The Irrationalist's sites and blogs.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Couldn't it have been better served to have just locked the thread instead of deleting it.
    Mighta saved a lot of headache's, and bad feelings,,, Just saying,,,

26. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Replies: 3
      Last Post: 05-16-2013, 09:39 PM
    2. Better than scrap. Hit or miss?
      By mascraps in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 08-03-2012, 06:05 PM
    3. Boo! Did ya miss me?
      By Julie in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 05-25-2012, 11:31 AM