Junk = Gold?!

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    dherik started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Junk = Gold?!

Got another call from a guy asking how much i pay for PC's and laptops. As soon as I hear those words, 'how much do you pay' I know he thinks he's got gold on his hands. So I ask him what do you have, and he won't say he wants to know what I pay. After 5 minutes of going back and forth, I told him, I don't quote a price if I don't know what it is, and I won't drive across town until I know what he has. Finally he says well I got a old laptop, screen is broken off the base, and 5 "tube" monitors as he put it. How much will I pay for them again.

He got offended when I told him nothing, and he'd have to pay me to haul off the monitors, told me to %^&$ off, and hung up. So his number got saved under the title of idiot. That list is getting longer.

Really %^&$ off? Wow, sorry for trying to run a business.... idiots.

Kris Kringle
    I would have called him back and ask does your mother know you use that kind of Language lolol

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'm gonna bet he still lives with his mother, and she probably taught him.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Ahhh,the age of entitlement.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,332 Times in 513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KZBell View Post
    Ahhh,the age of entitlement.
    Sucks that my age group is at the forefront of that insanity.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypoman View Post
    Sucks that my age group is at the forefront of that insanity.
    I think that's what drives me the craziest, I'm in my early 30's work full time, plus building a business. I have offered people a job who got laid off from IT departments, and even though we pay better than they where making won't take the job because they might get their fingernails dirty a couple times a week.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    I definetly respect the work ethic most seem to have on this forum. Having been self employed for over 20 years I'm constantly in the mindset that not working=not making money so everyday I try to either make money or add something to the inventory that will at some point. Wouldn't have it any other way.

8. The Following 8 Users say Thank You for This Post by KzScrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dherik View Post
    I think that's what drives me the craziest, I'm in my early 30's work full time, plus building a business. I have offered people a job who got laid off from IT departments, and even though we pay better than they where making won't take the job because they might get their fingernails dirty a couple times a week.
    My full time job is in an IT department also. Needless to say I make MUCH more in it than I do scrapping. Problem with some IT people is they think they are above getting their hands dirty. If I get laid off, I do NOT have a problem taking a job where I get my hands dirty (temporarily until I could find another programming job) as it means I have a paycheck coming in. I retired after 20 years from the USMC in 1994, so I know what it is like to not make a whole lot, and as such I do not put a big monetary figure on my time where if I do not make at least such and such an hour then the job is beneath me. Most folks on this forum do not have the entitlement mentality, which is very refreshing.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne1956 View Post
    My full time job is in an IT department also. Needless to say I make MUCH more in it than I do scrapping. Problem with some IT people is they think they are above getting their hands dirty. If I get laid off, I do NOT have a problem taking a job where I get my hands dirty (temporarily until I could find another programming job) as it means I have a paycheck coming in. I retired after 20 years from the USMC in 1994, so I know what it is like to not make a whole lot, and as such I do not put a big monetary figure on my time where if I do not make at least such and such an hour then the job is beneath me. Most folks on this forum do not have the entitlement mentality, which is very refreshing.
    I was talking about the company I work for. I offered a guy who I knew was making MAYBE 30 a year as a IT help desk. We brought him in showed him the job, and what he'd have to do. Showed him the pay and said that's not enough to get his hands dirty, I'm sorry but 40k a year to turn 10 screws wipe something down with simple green and test the electronics and you'll turn that down because you have an associates in IT? He had been laid off for 10 months.

I'm guessing he liked getting up at noon playing xbox and taking his 70% unemployment check instead of having to actually work....

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    My friend is an electrician and makes about 35(or more) a year. He is single with no kids and same age as me. He is ALWAYS complaining that he is broke and deserves to make $35 an hour just because he is the "best electrician in Indiana". He is always broke! Up until last year I never made more than 25 a year and I am married with 3 kids! It's ridiculous what people think they are "worth" and why.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ah yes, this is one of those situations that I have been running into more and more....People get on that danged old internet and start pointin' and clickin' and next thing ya know they believe that Bigfoot married Elvis and their junk computer is worth a bleedin' fortune!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    For those reasons too!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I pretty much have pulled my craigslist ads, my website gets almost me almost no business, I am making money by hitting up the PC repair shops.

Dealing with the people of CL has just turned into a headache spending 10 minutes explaining why I won't give someone 40 dollars for their broken laptop isn't worth it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    People are just ridiculous. These are the same folks that go to Walmart, buy a 15 dollar item that Walmart prolly paid 2 bucks for and it doesn't even begin to faze them. How dare you try to buy BROKEN junk at a fair price and get it out of their lives. Just what are you thinking?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Deal with these types all too often. Yesterday, a fellow was a might disappointed that I would not give him $800 a piece for a pair of dead '85 Cadillac Eldo's, one with a blown engine, the other had been it's parts car for years, but he was happy to sell me a complete Crown Vic for $150, and some assorted metal for $50/ton, and glad to see it gone. It just blew his mind that I wouldn't pay that kinda dough for the Caddi's though.

This morning was much better.....Went on a call to pick up about a half ton of junk, including about 50 pounds of clean aluminum, a gas grille, a junky single axle trailer & some other goodies. He was happy to not have to pay the landfill, and was just ecstatic that I would take his old dead beer fridge. These are the ones I like best.....the ones who are just glad to see it gone

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    congrats for the good haul...c4f5

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Craigslist Ad here:

2- 22 gal buckets of tools - $60

I have totes that are 22 gal filled and ready to go to the first person who shows up. There are some electric ones and the rest are wrenchs, wratchets, sockets, not sure of brands the stuff got wet and looks a little rusty. Worth the scrap if wanted. I am not giving these away! I AM NOT STUPID PEOPLE WILL RESELL OR SCRAP THEM!!! THANKS.

I love the part about "I am not stupid". haha
    Faith x Needs = Motivation

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Never fails - people thinking their junk is worth a fortune. I ask people why they don't just haul it up themselves.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

20. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. How Much Gold is in an Olympic Gold Medal?
      By jbravo54 in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 08-08-2012, 08:05 PM
    2. New York - Want Cash For Your Junk Car Or Truck Call Albany Junk Cars
      By rtk88 in forum Scrap Metal Removal, Junk Car Removal and Metal Recycling Services
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 07-07-2010, 07:30 PM

Thread Information