safety glass, safety glass!!!

| Tools and Equipment
    easyrecycle started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts

safety glass, safety glass!!!

I wear safety glasses for the most part as I use to be a pipefitter hand. But a few days back I was working and left the glasses at home....(dumb I know)

anyway long story short of all the days this had to be the day something pops up and hits me right in the eye....over the last few days I was getting a lighting bolt in my eye....some googling later after is started to drive me crazy....I read retinal detachment....awesome...so I called a doctor and ask him and wanted to hear him say that i was wrong and its not an issue....but thats not what he said...said in short I need to see someone today as its a HUGE issue....so...there I go popping out of my house as I am not about to lose eyesight in my one eye (left)

so I am back home typing this and hardly able to see as my eyes look like I did a ton of drugs or drinking (been funny if I was pulled over...) and this is the out come of seeing that doctor...

No my retinal are not detaching but where it hit my eye (the white) it damaged that some and will be like that for some time until it heals....but it can still detach so if it gets worse I need to go back asp for a check.

Keep a pair of safety glasses....they are cheap and there is no reason why I did not have a new pair at the warehouse for me or for someone who was working for me but I will be changing that!

My company name was Easy Recycle but has since been closed
    My Name Stephan Harz
    My YouTube page

2. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by easyrecycle:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    get well !!!
    Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes;
    God bless little children while they're still too young to hate

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    You bad boy !!! I would say more but you've already learned your lesson and won't make that mistake again. Were you using a grinder ? I know you see lots of bright lights when your retina detaches. If it had to happen, I'm glad it was the white of your eye. Glad you have something for the pain. If you get back on the forum and say something stupid, we'll know why !

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I feel your pain, last year I was wearing goggles while cutting up an old bed frame and had a shard get into my eye. The next day went to the Dr.and was told the metal left a rust spot on the center of my eye. He used a dremel tool with a wood cutting bit and went free hand on my eye ball. Told me not to blink or it would do perm damage . I still jump when I hear a dremel.

So far that has been my most expensive free dumpster find

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumpster-Dee View Post
    You bad boy !!! I would say more but you've already learned your lesson and won't make that mistake again. Were you using a grinder ? I know you see lots of bright lights when your retina detaches. If it had to happen, I'm glad it was the white of your eye. Glad you have something for the pain. If you get back on the forum and say something stupid, we'll know why !
    No...I was using a flat head trying to pry something apart....and that's when it happened...it popped up and headed right to my eye. Yea I should of gone back home and got them and not been lazy.....

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I can't even begin to explain how much stuff I have taken in my eye over the years i guess I am lucky my eye does an extremely good job of producing water and discarding everything out the side of my eyes. I have taken so many sparks to the eye and never had any trouble other then burning my eye and feeling it all day long. I have even glued my eyelid together from taking sparks. You see it coming and just close your eyes. I know a mechanic that has had his eye drilled nine times and still doesn't wear glasses he just doesn't care about it I guess. I guess you learned your lesson though. The worst is hot concrete and rust in the eye nothing makes me throw my glasses and hard hat off faster and cuss up a storm.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,988 Times in 746 Posts
    i hit and miss with them, also with hearing protections, i should work safer, i think we all get caught up in the moment running from one call to another and i for one put safety 2nd alot of times. i also rarely wear gloves unless im using a torch. the one thing i do wear daily are my steel toes, im gonna try to do better starting 2moro

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I was wearing safety glasses the other day and something still got in my eye it sucked. The one thing i have found over time a turkey baster works very well to get things out. Just a thought.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    You learned a good lesson there, you only have two eyes. There's your one warning.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Scrap biz in OHIO, but I live in south Florida!
    Thanks
    Grainger sells safety Glasses for $1.50 a pair. Made by 3m I get them for my temps all the time.

I wear glasses anyways, but I should get some sideshields!
    “Most people miss opportunity because it wears overalls and looks like work .” ― Thomas A. Edison

www.thortekrecycling.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    My father had a retinal detachment starting and waited one day after being told to take care of it right away. That little delay cost him a lot of visibility in his eye. Don't play around with eye issues. Glad yours didn't turn out to be serious, but be careful everyone.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    been there done that three times at the eye doctor to get stuff out. Safety glasses are on my face all of the time now doing anything in the shop. I need to wear readers for the small stuff so I got safety glasses with reading magnifiers in them on ebay. They solved two things for me.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have to admit, I don't agree with some of you on Rules, Risks and Regulations. but I am a FANATIC about eye safety. The only time I have ever raised my voice at my wife was regarding this subject. Eyes are required for almost all productive and recreational activities.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The full face mask is a great thing to use when grinding. When I was working as a pipe fitter that was a PPE we had to use when using a grinder.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have at least 5 pairs of safety glasses, a pair in both cars, my workbench in the garage, and a couple pair at work. And probably a few laying around I can't find.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    Thanks for this thread. I havnt worn glasses in my scrapping so far. I did however just order 5 Pairs on ebay because of this thread so thank you.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Easyrecycle, Unfotunate as it is always a timely reminder thanks wb.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PartTimeScrapper View Post
    Thanks for this thread. I havnt worn glasses in my scrapping so far. I did however just order 5 Pairs on ebay because of this thread so thank you.
    Don't know what you paid for them on ebay but look on Uline...they are cheaper and this is the best one you can get if you ask me

http://www.uline.com/BL_8957/Ice-Wraparounds

I love the clear or indoor and outdoor, the smoke are like sun shades.

Reason why I love them...the sides are very flat...good for hats or other gear...I used them with my motorcycle helmet. they are very strong as well...Had a grinder blade explode on me and it hit the glasses....hardly any damage was done to them.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    I got 5 pairs shipped to me for $9. I got these
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Safety-Glass...item2c62c499cb

22. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Freon safety warning!!!!!
      By Destructo_d in forum Scrap Metal Safety and Hazards
      Replies: 34
      Last Post: 01-11-2015, 09:58 AM
    2. Safety stuff
      By plainsman in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper