The yard guy wasn't happy with me today.

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    Patton started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

The yard guy wasn't happy with me today.

It is funny (interesting) that when you go to the yard, the guy running the scale is who sets the rules for the day?

I get scrap cars just to be able to stuff my light iron and steel into them. Never had a problem till today. Yes, they have docked me before, that I can handle. This guy refused my load until I went and whined to the lady at the counter. She let me go through, with full price.

Went back to weigh in and the guy said I would not be allowed in again if I stuff anymore cars.

Then I weighed out and they had docked me $39.00 for SNOW! I love it.

Still got my $260.00 a ton!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    heck there is a yard here you can put whatever kind of metal you want in it and still get paid full price.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    We dont have a person "running the scale". When i weigh in, they look through the glass with binoculars, probably to see how many people are in the rig, and the license plate. They have a camera right on top to check out the load.

Same thing i guess?

But good job on getting yer way! Sometimes you have to fight for it! Haha.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    heck there is a yard here you can put whatever kind of metal you want in it and still get paid full price.
    It may be an "urban legend", but I heard that a good few years ago, one of the local junkyards put a railroad car wheel in the trunk of a car to get the weight up. It did $50,000 worth of damage to the shredder, which they had to pay for...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I do know of one person that was stuffing cars with 5 gal propane bottles. The shredder went down for a week, and he was banned from the yards around Pueblo, CO. He did not have to pay for it though.

Also, think it is the yards responsibility to check the loads.

That being said, I just stuff the cars with light iron and steel. The computer cases I was putting in, had some plastic on them and I told both the guy and gal about that. They didn't seem to care about it. Most newer cars are complete plastic anyway.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I heard basically the same thing in NC. I was told the guys name but years ago he had a car no motor or trans he opened trunk and put arms off a dozer and I beams or something that went from bumper to bumper. It was crushed local but went to a shear and it messed up the blade and blew a cylinder or something. After that they said nothing in the cars.
    A few years ago I was hauling 4-5 a day and they let me throw other car parts in the cars but they said the cars had to crush level. If it had a motor what ever was in it had to crush level with the motor, if no motor no pile of scrap inside so I couldnt pile the interior to the roof of motors. Never had a problem until an old rusty car fell apart loading it in crusher and sprayed tie rod ends, connecting rods, axles, you name it all over the palce. I had just pulled it up a pile behind the shop and loaded old parts in it level with the top of the doors they were not happy. They told me if that happened again I would have to clean every car out.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It really must just be what they do to it before sending it to shred.

The usual yard was closed today without info. being given to the public. So after waiting in line for 2 hours, 1 hour because it is easier to haul without people on the road and another hour wondering when they were going to open. I started calling around to find another place that took whole cars.

Found it and found my new yard for cars. They were efficient, did not care how much the car was stuffed with, or what it was stuffed with.

Also, payed better.

Even got paid for the little bit of gas left in the tank! The scale guy told me to not drain the tank next time and I will get paid more.

This yard only takes cars, and I bet they tear them down for parts since there was a parts dept. in the same building as the scale office.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    They allow us to stuff junk cars with any clean steel here in Battle Creek, Mi. They just take a peek at it to insure that it is clean, and not a trunk full of gravel.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to golddigger69 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    @golddigger. lol I was wondering when someone was going to mention gravel. I knew a guy who said he used to fill them with chunks of concrete slab. I would never do this but it blows my mind the gaul some people have.

11. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. A US guy in China working for a EU scrap yard!
      By USGUYINCN in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 07-04-2013, 03:05 PM
    2. New guy at the yard...
      By hobo finds in forum Scrap Metal Prices
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 04-12-2012, 11:30 AM
    3. Happy Scrapping Valentine's Day and Happy Birthday!
      By scrapdollar in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 02-13-2012, 11:01 PM
    4. Tried a new yard today...
      By IdahoScrapper in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 09-30-2011, 08:08 AM
    5. Nice guy gave me a cat today
      By Lawn Island Scrapper in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 04-04-2011, 02:17 PM

Thread Information