sealed bid auction

| Auction Talk
    metaljacket started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

sealed bid auction

I am reviewing a sealed bid surplus school auction. Listed below are the 10 most numerous items:
    1. 237 computers
    2. 92 monitors
    3. 55 projectors
    4. 47 printers,scannerrs
    5. 37 tv's
    6. 35 dvd/vcr
    7. 22 cellphones
    8. 17 portable radios
    9. 11 digital cameras
    10 8 notebooks/laptops

Some of the miscellaneous items in very small #s are copiers, camcorders, shredders, managers cpus, a number of different type switches and couple of routers and several one of a kinds.

I don't know that any are in working order but it would stand to reason that many are in working condition or could be put in working condition. I was salivating at the number of computers but I assume that a lot of these would be sold on ebay and what could not would be scrapped and I have no idea about the value scrap or otherwise of projectors, copiers and some of the other items. I think most of the items have serial #s so a fair amount of research could be done as to original value and maybe even resale value.

I would really like some imput from some of those who have participated in these type auctions as to how they approach and attempt to place a value for bid purposes. For example on the computers do you assume that a certain % of them will be good and can be resold on ebay or do you just try to purchase at a value that you know you can make money at assuming all are broken down. Do you look for someone else to lay off the items that you do not want like maybe the projectors. Really just curious as to the methodology that you use to come up with a value.

This was just lot 1. There are other lots that I have not reviewed.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I hate sealed bid auctions. It always seems like you end up paying more than if it were a live auction.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    im doing one this weekend. hate them! you can never pay low.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Win Win....

for the seller that is. Higher bid prices and no need to pay an auctioneer.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Kringle View Post
    Seems to me if you paid to much in a Sealed Bid Auction you the one that was the high bidder Example they selling a Widget I bid $20 on it you come along and bid $100 You won Sorry you over bid For something that was worth only $30.

Besides with sealed Bids there is no Auction Fever Only what you want to pay.
    It's not that I paid too much. I'll never bid more than I think I can and still make a profit. It's just that the profit is much less than I would like it to be.

metaljacket started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    No experience with these auctions but I wonder whether a large ewaste recycler will be bidding or whether someone just sees the ad and think that there is a pot of gold. Also wondering whether to assume a certain % will be working, for example computers and therefore worth maybe the 2 to 5 dollar range you know you could be safe at. It doesn't cost anything to bid unless you win and obviously you could submit a bid that is low enough that you can't get hurt.

I might have a way of finding out the winning bid but after the fact but that would be instructive just knowing that. The other possibility might be purchasing from whoever has the winning bid. Then you could just concentrate on the items you are most interested in.

Appreciate the replies and would like to hear from others that have had failure or success at these type auctions. To my knowlege there is not an auctioneer. All items are listed with identification #'s etc. so I think it is fairly straight forward deal. If you win you pay your money and take your chances.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    There are fee's associated with surplus auctions conducted on line...most time the buyer ends up paying the fees one way or the other. Be sure to read the fine print so you know your final price that may involve sales tax in addition to those fees.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

8. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Pallet of cell phones...to bid or not to bid
      By TeleFurb in forum Auction Talk
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 05-21-2013, 08:00 PM
    2. could you bid on this
      By Scrappile in forum Auction Talk
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM
    3. Bid on first auction
      By Jonniebrass in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 10