My first post

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    dodgedriver882011 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Angry My first post

Yesterday I had taken what I thought was an Aluminum shed to our local scrapyard, I had also gotten a gas, converted to charcoal, grill and a tin storage cabinet. It made for a VERY full load in my 97 Dodge Dakota. I got to the scrapyard and out came the magnet from their trustee scale attendant and sucked the magnet straight to the rapidly changing TIN shed and he says "Aluminum? No, thats tin!". "Well okay," I said, "but what's the price difference?". "Price difference? Aluminum is $55 a hundred and tin is $12 bucks a hundred." I was mad, not at him, at myself for not grabbing the magnet off the refridgerator like I was going to do before I left the house. A rookie mistake made by a rookie. I know for next time don't I?

Last edited by dodgedriver882011; 07-13-2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo/error

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sorry about that dodge. I suggest you spend some time reading through the old posts and comments before you go back to the yard again !!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Something you only do ONCE. When I started, I bought a 40# spool of wire as copper wire without using the magnet. Turned out to be copper-colored steel. So don't feel bad, we all do it.

Welcome to the Forum.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mick for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Next time you get a grill, oven, or most anything with heating elements or gas regulators, check it over really well. There could (should) be several pieces of brass ($2+/lb) maybe some alum pieces, and if its a higher dollar grill may have some stainless steel. Strip those puppies of and start stacking them up and your full loads go from $30/load to $300/load. Lots and lots of free money_making info on this site! Good on ya for getting started, and good luck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OneBiteAtaTime for This Post:

dodgedriver882011 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I thank you all for yall responding responding.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Dodge
    If you do sheds the biggest giveaway of telling the difference is seeing rust stains or rust rot. Rust= Steel/ No Rust= Aluminum.
    If you see Charcoal Grills or black gas grills, grab them. The lid of them is a lot of the time is Cast Aluminum, They can bring $6-$10 a piece just for the lids. (pending on yard prices) I have picked up 6 in a day sometimes. Best time to look for grills is spring and fall...Garage Cleanout times.
    But best thing to do is get a decent magnet, ask your yard for one.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    I saw a grill yesterday. Pulled over and popped open the back of my van. Opened the lid so I could pull the pins and get it in easier when I saw 3 nests of angry hornets. I slammed that lid shut and bolted on home to borrow dads truck and grab some hornet spray.

Got it home with zero stings.

Still looking to buy a truck. People want far too much for their junk.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I always keep several magnets on my truck. Usually under the bed rail out of the way. I also have a keyring magnet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If you have a Harbor Freight near by you can pick up a magnet tray like the one in this link:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...ray-90566.html
    You can stick it on the side of your bed if you have a truck, or anywhere there is steel on your car. It will give you a place to put any small nuts, bolts, nails, screws, etc until you can put them in your mixed load bin, plus it will give you a magnet (on the back of the tray) to test any metal with to see if it is steel, stainless steel or aluminum.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wayne1956 for This Post:

Thread Information