A Few Questions From a Beginner

| General - Let's talk business
    scrapperincanada started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

A Few Questions From a Beginner

Hi, just new to this forum. I've looked around this forum and just have a couple questions.

1) How much would a dryer be worth to you in your area? The reason I ask, is that people in my area advertise for dryers etc. and are willing to travel out of town to get them. So if they came out of town in a truck they'd be burning at least $10 or $15 in gas to get here, plus they have to make money on top of that obviously. When people say that they get steel for 10 cents on the dollar, let's say a dryer weighs $150, that would be $15.00 in scrap value. The numbers don't add up. There must be something I'm missing here right?

2) Do you get the most of your metal from driving around on garbage night? I've read here how some people advertise for it and make calls to businesses, but can you make enough money from collecting on garbage night?

3) Sometimes out of the blue the words "metalscrap metalscrap" appear in someones post, why?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Welcome to the forums. For me I have been driving around and if i see something i will stop and ask about it. Once warmer weather comes I will start advertising more. It depends on where you live and how hard you work at looking for scrap. I think making contact with people would be the best way to go.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    A dryer is worth around 10 bucks in scrap here. I see a few advertising that they will buy broken down (newer) appliances for 5 to 15. If I had to guess, they are buying them up, fixing what can be fixed, then reselling.

I recently picked up a newer dryer. Guy said it squeaks. After some Googling and youtube videos it leans towards it being the idler pulley or rollers. When I get some free time I'm going to see if I can fix it and sell it.

That "metalscrap" is a censor for cursing.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    You can get some good dollars driving around on garbage night/morning. That is going to depend on how many other scrappers there are in your area.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    HELLO, everyone, i'm new @ this forum so i'll just say this.

I make a very good living scrapping stuff and have done so for many years,

i buy a/c compressors and electric motors. i'm trying to open up a shop here in colorado
    for a massive scale. i'm looking for about 4 people who want to invest about $1500.00 as silent partners
    and tthey will get @ $4000.00 return in cash in 90 days.

if you are serious about investing please call me @ 970-710-6007 at your earliest convience.

thank you and god bless,
    harold hall

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAMERMAN731 View Post
    HELLO, everyone, i'm new @ this forum so i'll just say this.

I make a very good living scrapping stuff and have done so for many years,

i buy a/c compressors and electric motors. i'm trying to open up a shop here in colorado
    for a massive scale. i'm looking for about 4 people who want to invest about $1500.00 as silent partners
    and tthey will get @ $4000.00 return in cash in 90 days.

if you are serious about investing please call me @ 970-710-6007 at your earliest convience.

thank you and god bless,
    harold hall

You make a very good living but need $6000? Suggestion - develop a good business plan and take it to the Small Business Administration. SBA is in the business of loaning start-up money and you'll keep all the profits that way.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    Yeah, this smells funny. Your first post here and you say how well you are doing and proceed to ask 4 of us for $1,500.

I am not saying you are not sincere, but you have a funny way of introducing yourself.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I dont trust flamers. Lol. Depends on the dryer. I just scrapped one and got squat for it.... then when mine broke (a maytag from the 60's) I realized the parts cost a fortune. If its old... it'll be super heavy, but maybe see if you can't remove and circuit boards and wiring coils.... you might get a few extra bucks from a repair shop.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Hey, I'm new to this forum too and I see alot of people talking about advertising. What do you advertise yourself as? Do you say your a scrapper, or will haul away for free? What sounds the most appealing to a prospective customer?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm new to scrapping and hoping to make some nice cash on the side this way.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by junkyardjunky View Post
    Hey, I'm new to this forum too and I see alot of people talking about advertising. What do you advertise yourself as? Do you say your a scrapper, or will haul away for free? What sounds the most appealing to a prospective customer?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm new to scrapping and hoping to make some nice cash on the side this way.
    Recyclers. For instance, the name of my business is "Mick's Metal and Battery Recycling". You might also look around Craig's List "Small Biz Ads" section for ideas.

11. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Avid beginner scapper from Eastern Long Island
      By xvdrewvx in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 07-27-2014, 01:24 PM
    2. Another Beginner to Scrapping
      By meyer0202 in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 07-27-2014, 02:06 AM
    3. Scrapping Aluminum Framed HEPA Filters - Beginner Scrapper
      By meyer0202 in forum Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
      Replies: 11