Cost per tower/servers?

| Computer Recycling
    crazyguy1710 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Cost per tower/servers?

Just trying to figure what the maximum bid I should put in for several auctions. These are all dell towers with hard drives removed and no hard drives in the servers. Just don't want to get wrapped up in the auction and not make a decent return on my investment.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    You can only answer this if you know what you are going to do with them. There are several threads here regarding the return per tower/server/etc, but the answer can vary depending on what you plan to do with them and who you are selling to. Many of us have worked very hard to discover the right methods and models for our own business, and encourage you to do the same.

You need to figure what you are getting paid for the components if you plan to break them down. Then come up with an average amount of components based on what you are buying. If they are all the same model, this is much easier. If they are machines with parts that can be re sold, you can justify paying more than scrap for them.

I have seen scrap yards pay between 10 and 50 cents per pound for whole computers. The rate that works for me may not work for you. Don't forget to factor in your costs(labor, gas, vehicle wear) and possible shipping costs if sending to a buyer. Many auction sites also charge a premium on the final price that can be as high as 15%.

In short, unless you are in a market with zero competition, you are going to get eaten alive with online computer auctions. They often go for way more than scrap value, even if they are junk.

3. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by AuburnEwaste:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 525 Posts
    How many computers are there? What type are they? How old are they? How far away are you from an ewaste buyer? How much of a profit margin do you want?These questions need to be factored into the price. There isint a universal price that you can use, it all depends on the situation.
    Made in China, Recycled in the Republic of Texas!

"When the mind fails, brute force prevails" - CTSSolutions

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gravitar for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 471 Posts
    That is a problem so full of variables that there is really no exact answer anyone can give you. It matters if you're going to resell or scrap them. It matters what age the towers are and the mix of towers and servers. It matters if you already have a relationship with a scrap buyer and know what you can sell for. You have to take your logistics into the equation, like how far they are from you, do you have to have them shipped or rent a truck? It also depends on the size of the lot 10 or 1000 units. The first thing to do is check out the buyers on the forum and see what they are paying. That will give you a starting point. The rest is figuring out what it will take for you to purchase, transport, break down, sort, and ship. When you get all those together, then you can know what you can bid.

I know that doesn't sound like a very helpful answer, but really it is. Experience is going to be the key and if you're just starting, you might want to take a shot at an auction that won't bite your budget too much. Then you can break it all down and sell it while taking careful notes and learn (and share) from it.

Also, read a bunch of past threads and you will find out how others have done buying this type of lot.

Good luck.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pnutfarmer for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Not to mention that all servers are different, size, how loaded, etc. You may be looking at a 10 dollar server or a 100 dollar server.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    I'm right now breaking down a load of Dell towers and servers I bought from a scrap yard. Like you, over half have had the Hard Drives removed. What you're reading is very correct. They are varying so much in the size of components, it's ridiculous. I've got everything from 64mb RAM sticks to (2) one GB; Heat Sink-fan systems that are going on Ebay but mostly to the Extruded bucket. Cases - some are metal but a lot of plastic that will cost to get rid of. Just be careful and don't jump too hard, too fast.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

11. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mick:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Auctions are crazy. Recently lost one that I thought I should have won. 49 dell towers, no hds, unknown model, picture was of all of them from the back side. Had to be pent 4. Bid $4 each. Winning bid was $550.00 . You are going to be up against brokers for the most part with deep pockets.

Best advice is if you are going to try to win an auction stick to your maximum bid. Do not go any higher even if its by a couple of bucks.
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne-- The Shootist

NEWBS READ THIS THREAD ABOUT REFINING!!!!
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/off-t...ning-read.html

13. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by BRASSCATCHER:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,024 Times in 2,351 Posts
    Yeah I buy off surplus auctions but I also re-sell as much as possible.........If it is to old or will cost to much to repair/refurbish off to the pile it goes

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    If this is an online auction and you can't look inside the towers/servers then I wouldn't pay more than 3.00ea for the towers and 5.00-8.00ea on the servers. Like Brass said most of these auctions for computers will sell for way more than scrap. Good luck.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscraper View Post
    If this is an online auction and you can't look inside the towers/servers then I wouldn't pay more than 3.00ea for the towers and 5.00-8.00ea on the servers. Like Brass said most of these auctions for computers will sell for way more than scrap. Good luck.
    Yeah, that's what I pay. Maybe a little less for the servers. About $4-$5 for servers.

SMF Badges of Honor

623 s Lyon st Suite 200 Sioux Falls SD 57104
    Thanks
    Hope this help, this is what I do, but You can choose to do what its best for you every location is different, so , do some math,

One, find out the avg prices of steel you will get out of each cases,
    two firgure out how much wires you'll get out of each cases.
    three, weight all the componets and compare it to the price sheet you're selling to
    four, Try to resell some of those hard to find or newer hardware...
    five, If its a full complete I charege 15 missing one I charge 10 and anything less I charge 5 just case I charge 3
    Six figure out your cost of shipping or how you'll get it there,

all these factors come into play, and you really have to sit down and figure out where and how you can make the most money with little impact on shipping and labor, and over head..

I wish you luck, put faith into something you enjoy and You'll be sucessful, God always say, Knock and It shall open, seek and You shall find.
    Please Add Us On FaceBook, PC SCRAPPER Sioux Falls SD
    also our Prices are listed here http://pcscrapperS.com
    PC Scrappers LLC
    623 S LYON ST SUUTE 200Sioux Falls, SD 57104
    1-605-271-2616

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'm going through the same exercise now with some local online auctions. In my case there are several dozen lots of computers, no one lot larger than a small stack on a pallet. I'm not confident in my ability/knowledge to refurb or resell the components, so I'm bidding on them all as scrap. I'm no expert, but $3 each for Dells without hard drives seems like a safe benchmark (but remember to add in any buyer's premium and sales tax first!). I bid a little high on some of the lots mostly to see what happens- I'm willing to pay a slight premium to learn the ropes- but as all the lots are relatively small I won't have a lot of money tied up in any one of them should I actually win one. I calculated out the potential value of each pallet (pretty much ignoring any other components- like desk lamps!- thrown on top of the computers), the premium, the tax, set my max bid and have kept my hands in my pockets since.

In reading the comments here and looking at past auction results, I'm guessing that I have about a snowball's chance in heck of actually coming home with any of this stuff (much to my wife's relief). I've seen some pretty crazy prices come out of these auctions...

cheers,
    tbg

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thebugguy for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    All of the above.
    "anyone who thinks scrappin is easy money ain't doin it right!"

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    One piece of advice i can give is find out the rules concerning the pick up of your won items....im not sure how the online auctions work, but with live auctions sometimes you have a limited time to remove your items. it is very important to know when you can pick up, if you will need tools, if you will need to bring labor...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,301 Times in 857 Posts
    One other thing I haven't seen covered here: Always assume that the ONLY lot you'll win at a given auction is the one you're bidding on. I once bid on several lots that were a pretty lengthy drive away. Turned out that the only lot I won was for a box of cables and a couple ethernet switches. Looking back, I should've just paid for them & called the contact & told him to just give them to the next guy that showed up.

Anyway, bottom line... make sure you bid as if you're going to be driving to pick up only this one lot!
    Out of clutter, find simplicity. --Albert Einstein

23. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by auminer:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by auminer View Post
    One other thing I haven't seen covered here: Always assume that the ONLY lot you'll win at a given auction is the one you're bidding on. I once bid on several lots that were a pretty lengthy drive away. Turned out that the only lot I won was for a box of cables and a couple ethernet switches. Looking back, I should've just paid for them & called the contact & told him to just give them to the next guy that showed up.

Anyway, bottom line... make sure you bid as if you're going to be driving to pick up only this one lot!
    Yes, absolutely, good point- I forgot to add "gas money" in my calculations. Driving around the neighborhood looking for dead ceiling fans is one thing; paying for 80 miles worth of gas to pick up 10 computer towers is another...

cheers,
    tbg

25. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. National - Freight Services
      By gorven in forum Scrap Buyers & Sellers
      Replies: 82
      Last Post: 06-02-2024, 07:23 AM
    2. Surprising cost of scrap
      By Rollyrogers33 in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 12-11-2012, 09:08 AM
    3. cost of regulations
      By EcoSafe in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 02-29-2012, 11:15 AM
    4. Cost Per Part
      By imyourgirl in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 12-28-2011, 02:22 AM
    5. Oregon - i will take all your metal scrap at no cost for you.
      By shad in forum Scrap Metal Removal, Junk Car Removal and Metal Recycling Services
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 12-12-2010, 10:14 PM

Thread Information