first e-waste whale

| More than Scrap Value
    ParkerFlyer4 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

first e-waste whale

A horder/ computer repair/ vcr repair guy past away, and left everything to his kids. Everything I want is free, they said. I loaded up on about 10 old computers (non working) and 7 new computers (possibly working). And a bunch of vcrs (some working and some not.) Boxes and boxes of random computer and vcr stuff.

I havent even opedened the computers yet. The old ones seem to be loaded with boards full of ic chips.

Ive only just started going through it all. In the boxes I found: Turns out that a lot of the stuff is new or resellable. 10+ Motherboards (possibly working) About 20+ video cards. 30+ phone cards. And many more cards that I know nothing about. 10+ hardrives (some new some old). 20+ cd, dvd, cdrw, and floppy drives. Tons of new and used ribben cable. Lots of the stuff I say is new is still in a box or wrapper. Bunch of new and used heatsinks with fans. Bunch of new and used ram. You get the Idea, extra everything.

Anyway, I am fairly new to escrap. And normally I would just sort it as scrap. But I feel like there could be a lot more value here. I have no ebay experience, and no Time/knowhow to test to see if things are working. Any input would help, Because I will probably just scrap it all because that is something I know how to do. Thanks.
    Last edited by ParkerFlyer4; 09-15-2012 at 01:39 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ParkerFlyer4 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Great first score. If you have a fellow member from the forum around fairly close, maybe they have Ebay exp. (it's actually the good feedback) or you might try CraigsList for some of the better stuff. Might try to do some trading with a repair shop for their non working parts for your good. There's a couple of options to get you started.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

4. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    I would suggest finding a local computer guy that can help you test stuff out. Cut him in on the action and you will have a new supplier of ewaste as well.
    "64K should be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates 1981
    http://www.treasurecoastelectronicrecycling.com/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to parrothead for This Post:

ParkerFlyer4 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Since I am coming across more and more computers, I have been looking into computer repair shops near by. Looks like there are no "small" shops, only large stores like Best buy. I will keep looking, and hold onto what I have, until I figure something out.
    Also, Iv'e found a few of the video and sound cards I have, on ebay going anywhere from $30 - $200.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerFlyer4 View Post
    A horder/ computer repair/ vcr repair guy past away, and left everything to his kids. Everything I want is free, they said. I loaded up on about 10 old computers (non working) and 7 new computers (possibly working). And a bunch of vcrs (some working and some not.) Boxes and boxes of random computer and vcr stuff.

I havent even opedened the computers yet. The old ones seem to be loaded with boards full of ic chips.

Ive only just started going through it all. In the boxes I found: Turns out that a lot of the stuff is new or resellable. 10+ Motherboards (possibly working) About 20+ video cards. 30+ phone cards. And many more cards that I know nothing about. 10+ hardrives (some new some old). 20+ cd, dvd, cdrw, and floppy drives. Tons of new and used ribben cable. Lots of the stuff I say is new is still in a box or wrapper. Bunch of new and used heatsinks with fans. Bunch of new and used ram. You get the Idea, extra everything.

Anyway, I am fairly new to escrap. And normally I would just sort it as scrap. But I feel like there could be a lot more value here. I have no ebay experience, and no Time/knowhow to test to see if things are working. Any input would help, Because I will probably just scrap it all because that is something I know how to do. Thanks.
    Remember, you can always list on eBay as untested.

9. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Another Whale of a Job for me again
      By XZAV38 in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 10-07-2012, 10:08 PM
    2. Whale !!! This isn't my first whale but it is a nice one.
      By theelectronrecycler in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 08-27-2012, 06:59 PM
    3. Still trying to chunk through my whale...
      By CanIScrapIt in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 05-20-2012, 08:53 PM
    4. Possible Whale on the line!
      By EcycleDan in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 04-26-2012, 01:16 AM
    5. whale #1 update
      By EcoSafe in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 01-10-2012, 09:24 PM

Thread Information