odd boards

| Computer Recycling
    KrazyJ started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

odd boards

Hey SMF,

well I have come across what i consider an oddity and I was hoping for some wisdom. We just finished a telco install/de-install job in eastern Colorado. Part of the deal was we purchased all the old equipment. Well as you can imagine I could not wait to get home and open the trailer and start sorting. I came across a pretty good amount of Stromburg-Carlson Equipment. This was made in the 50's and 60's. It seems to have nice and thick gold fingers on it as well as transistors and other goodies. The back appears to have silver colored traces.

The bad part it has a lot of ferrite and other heavy junk on it. As well as being mounted on a big piece of steel. The steel comes off easy enough and what is left is a board.

I have taken a few apart they clean quick. One type even has large relays with copper cores when you clean those you have around 1 lb of copper.

My question any one ever seen these before and thoughts on what the traces are comprised of. Research on the net indicates that this manufacturer used a lot of palladium in telco gear in that era.

I have included some pics and any input is welcome.

I have thought about putting a nice cleaned up load together and sending it in to the processor/refiners.

Or if someone hear knows I would be wasting my time I will shear the fingers.

Thanks KrazyJ

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    I could be wrong but it looks like plain old solder to me with a varnish overlay, looks kinda like a cb radio board out of the 60-70's.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    When we first started, we got about 1500lbs of boards that were very similar to these, they were made by Johnson controls and I believe we got something like 4.50/lb(2009) for them. Though i think both side of the fingers had gold on them.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I could be wrong but it looks like plain old solder to me with a varnish overlay, looks kinda like a cb radio board out of the 60-70's.
    Mechanic I thought something like this as well however there is no varnish overlay just straight up traces.I have a lot of boards with the varnish to seal them Also it takes more heat to melt the "solder" then a standard board like a radio or tv. Any of the places that they have repaired in the past with regular tn/pb solder are oxidizing much differently.

Thanks for the input...I will let everyone know if I come up with anything...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyJ for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    When we first started, we got about 1500lbs of boards that were very similar to these, they were made by Johnson controls and I believe we got something like 4.50/lb(2009) for them. Though i think both side of the fingers had gold on them.
    EScrap did you sell to a refiner/processor or to a board buyer? We don't really have a good board buyer here in Nebraska. However I have enough I could travel or TL/LTL ship.

I think I should contact some of the fine folks here on the forum.

And you are correct these only have gold on one side of the fingers.

Thanks for the input....

Also thanks for your input

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    I suggest you check with the ewaste buyers in our buyers/sellers section of the forum. Send them a pm with pictures. Mike.
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Hey any one of the E-Scrap experts here want to take a stab at grading these boards.

I have quite a few lbs of them.

Thanks, KrazyJ

9. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Best score, and odd scrap
      By Saroro in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 21
      Last Post: 08-27-2018, 10:26 PM
    2. Something odd about appliances
      By CanIScrapIt in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 11-20-2012, 09:53 AM
    3. Got an odd call about something