drewan started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

For the newer folks like me WHAT EVER YOU DO, DON'T TURN IT DOWN !

***** DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A PRO BY NO MEANS *****
    I have been thinking about this for awhile and thought I'd share this with the newer folks like me. If you get asked or called for a pick up do it no matter how small. My first was some alum a saw blade and some other little things most people would say it's not worth my time/gas to drive a half hour for it not me why because it all adds up. I noticed I started getting more calls from the same areas it may be a stove or microwave a computer monitor it all adds up. Be on time if you set up a time be there just like any other job be on time your time and their time is valuable they may have other things to do and don't want to wait around for you (NOT GOOD) you loose a customer and 10 others. Be prepared some of the pick ups I get I'm by myself for a frige or stove my dolly comes into play nothing makes you look more foolish then trying to wrestle a 100+ pound frige or stove out of a house basement or yard messing up floors doorway and yards trying to haul it to your truck or trailer I always have my dolly with.
    Don't leave a mess especially if you are curb shopping nothing makes you look like more of a jerk then to go and rip through a bunch of stuff to get some steel and walk a way leaving a mess put it back no matter what it is.
    Talk to the people for a little bit a lot of pick ups I do are "I'll have it by my garage just stop by and pick it up" that's fine by me they have things to do and so do I. Others will be out there with you and want to B.S. some of the folks that want to talk to ya are the older one's that don't get many visitors or see there family a little small talk doesn't hurt it can only get you further.
    I know I've missed somethings and others will chime in and that would be great.

2. The Following 15 Users say Thank You for This Post by drewan:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,465 Times in 1,990 Posts
    excellent advice Drewan

4. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Bear:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I agree with Bear! EXCELLENT!!!

Thank you, drewan.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to little726 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    I have come to the conclusion that this is whats happening.

They have scrap they want to get rid of & know its worth something to someone.
    They are worried that people will steal it (as its worth something to crims too) & other stuff that they own at the same time. They don't want to be a target for crims.

They respond to the add, mentioning its "Only small, but it may be worth your time" AFTER they start to trust you.
    Once they meet you & are sure of your trustworthyness, they let you get a little more scrap.
    After the deal has been done & nothing bad has come from it, they let you get the rest, then they put your name down as 'Our scrap guy'.

Now their friends, who are in a similar situation, hear of you & want a trustworthy person to do their scrap & call you.

8. The Following 6 Users say Thank You for This Post by eesakiwi:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Also, go clean and with a fresh shave. Nobody likes the smelly, scruffy scrapper guy!! Sometimes, I bring my 4 yr old boy with me, he always warms up the lady types. The "Bring the kid along approach" only works for a few years then you have to get a replacement. hehehehe.

All good suggestions so far.

good luck
    metal Detect around the tree before you Pee.!!!

10. The Following 6 Users say Thank You for This Post by jassiejames:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    ^ lol JJ
    Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes;
    God bless little children while they're still too young to hate

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Yup JJ that's what I do to. When mom is working the boy comes with me. Puts on the spongebob gloves and snow boots and tells people "we're slinging steel".
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne-- The Shootist

NEWBS READ THIS THREAD ABOUT REFINING!!!!
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/off-t...ning-read.html

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    great advice.

the small talk usually pays off for me. I love it when they say "you take those too? here you go." be sure to let people know everything that you deal with.

If you do a good job and the customer likes you, they MAY tell their friends about you. If you do shoddy work and piss people off, they WILL tell their friends and anyone else who will listen.Hard work will pay off for you.

14. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by shootsitall:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thats right drewan, everything you mentioned is right on. The more professional you are the more you stand out among the rest. When I get calls from an ad I placed I feel that I am obligated to pick it up because it came from one of my ads. Probably about 90% of the time I pickup more than what was talked about over the phone. When you get to the location you are able to have some face to face time to really show the service that you offer. A recent pickup I was supposed to just pickup some metal, a tv, and some misc. but, I ended up picking about double plus the guy gave me an $80 tip. Last night I drove an hour from my house to pick up a 62" tv and I ended up bringing home 2 more smaller tv's plus a potential future car tow away.

So its, all about,

1. showing up on time
    2. working hard, clean and efficient
    3. offering other services
    4. giving a business card

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Not to change the discussion. How do you dispose of a 62" tv anyways.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If they work I resell them. If they dont work I take out the goodies (metals) and then take a hammer to it and put the trash scraps in the trash. It has 3 small crts that I take to the good will or the dump where they are disposed of properly.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ok. There has been a lot of TV's that are over 40" that I have been passing up. Didn't know that they could be thrown away.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If they are CRTs you can take the glass to goodwill or the dump. I dont know if you can just throw them away.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    I think from past posts that there is some recycling services down in Columbus, Check your yellowpages. The guy from Lima had mentioned it.
    Once you find a place to responsibly recycle the tubes and the plastic then you can start snagging all the tv's. They average about $ 4. worth of value in each one.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    My 5 year old loves to tag along. Which I have descovered helps alot. Her red hair southern draw and her not knowing a stranger seems to open people up. Few weeks ago picking up a load of tvs, She managed to talk the guy out of a 4wheeler. Granted it needs an over haul but its a nice lil 300ex. She said to the guy that looks like it needs a new home. lmao the guy said well sweet heart if your dad will fix it for you then you can have it. Its now torn apart in my man cave waiting on piston and rings. Rode it on the trailer smoked like heck.
    Last edited by joebob49; 06-11-2012 at 04:27 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by joebob49:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    I think from past posts that there is some recycling services down in Columbus, Check your yellowpages. The guy from Lima had mentioned it.
    Once you find a place to responsibly recycle the tubes and the plastic then you can start snagging all the tv's. They average about $ 4. worth of value in each one.
    I found a place that charges you a dollar for every inch. Ugh! Have to keep looking.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    indeed i love it i use creigslist and flyers in ames were i live and people call me alot and i pick up anything even blenders on the chance i meet them talk and they tell others infact i picked up 3 microwaves yesterday for a older lady who could not lift one of them i went inside and hauled it. the pick up thing is great since yards and others wont just come usually for a tv or vaccuum lol. its all part of enjoying what you do and i haul out of a 91 dodge spirit so i have to break down alot so it will fit in my car lol

25. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. A bit of advice for the newer people here
      By BRASSCATCHER in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 07-21-2013, 11:57 AM
    2. Now its my turn.... What do i do with these?
      By Scrapcrazy in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 08-05-2012, 03:15 PM
    3. newer box type TV little value !
      By EcoSafe in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 10-30-2011, 11:06 PM
    4. Hello, Newer scrapper- New to the forum
      By utahscrapper in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 09-27-2011, 09:57 PM
    5. Casual Scrapper, looking to turn it into something more