Scrapping a Lucas Horizontal Boring Machine

| Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
    theelectronrecycler started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Question Scrapping a Lucas Horizontal Boring Machine

I have access to a late 70's model Lucas Horizontal Boring Machine. This machine probably weighs in at 20 Tons. It is as large as three Cargo Vans. It has two huge Electrical boxes filled with copper/ brass, Transformers and other assorted goodies, all of which I know how to dismantle and haul away. However, The large Verticle tower and the double large machine base are both made of cast iron, which is hollow inside, but the walls are about 2 inches thick.

The condition for me getting the machine for scrap is, if I take any of it, I must take it all. Now, I do not want to hire a machine moving company or a transport carrier to haul it for me, so, I have to be able to break it down small enough for my beat up Ford to transport it about 20 miles to the scrap yard.

I am looking for any advise on how to break down the tower and base so that I my transport it legally and safely. I know that cast iron breaks fairly easily, However, I am talking about 2" thick cast iron walls on the base and tower.

For a picture of this machine, look into google images for a Lucas 72" x 48" x 40" Boring Machine. Sorry but I could not get a picture to upload. Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I looked at the picture that bandit posted, if you have a cutting torch, you try cutting that csat iron into manageable pieces to transporting it, if all else fail I would take a twenty pound sledge hammer to it, I'm not sure if that would work for you or not, I just wanted to throw that idea out there for ya

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    Whats the world come to when its better to scrap a Lucas 72" x 48" x 40" Boring Machine than use it to make money for ever.

The only way I can think of breaking it up is to cut it & hammer wedges into the cuts, let time & expansion do its work work on it too.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 668 Posts
    Some yards will buy it from you right where it's and and pick it up themselves. Just depends on where you're at.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    this particular machine has more problems than are worth fixing. it has been stripped of a few of it's internals and one of it's electric motors. IF I can pull this job off, I will have a chance at three more of these, the machine company I work for has 6 total and four of them will never run again and there is an additional two more that they are trying to sell. If these other two machines can not be sold, I will have a chance at those also.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theelectronrecycler View Post
    this particular machine has more problems than are worth fixing. it has been stripped of a few of it's internals and one of it's electric motors. IF I can pull this job off, I will have a chance at three more of these, the machine company I work for has 6 total and four of them will never run again and there is an additional two more that they are trying to sell. If these other two machines can not be sold, I will have a chance at those also.
    Well what are you waiting for.....GET TO WORK

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    well mr Mikeinreco it happens to be 11:04pm atm. it is time to sleep, not work. hahahahaha, work begins tomorrow ..... maybe. laters all and thanks for the advice.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Well get to work..u had ur nap..lol...let us know how it turns out

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Remove everything you can take of manualy and then call scrap company to come pick up.
    We buy electronic scrap, Gold Karat scrap, gold filled, refined gold, silver and many other item's.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I used to build machines just like that from scratch. I would honestly say it would be much easier to take apart just like it was built. If you start cutting you are going to end up no where fast. There are bolts under bolts everywhere and cutting it up just wont do you the trick. Take it from me, I used to build these, take them back apart, ship them around the world and rebuild them on site. I can say for sure I could take that apart and have it all boxed up in one day easy. That said, to be safe about it, I would make a way to "Crane" things from the ceiling. It will make it much easier taking the parts down which will still be very heavy even when unbolted.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I would attack it with a cutting wheel and torch to strip is down to the cast base. I would then have the scrap yard come in. You stand to make a pretty good chunk of change so don't be afraid to spend a little on buying or renting good tools if it is going to make this job possible.
    If it wasn't for the $ in $crap, it would just be.....

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    let us know how it went
    We're the renegades of Junk!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I don't get all the suggestions of using a torch..... on cast iron!? If the application for the torch is to cut bolts great, otherwise don't waste your time trying. Its all but impossible to cut cast iron with a torch. I use an air-arc unit on iron. The "take it apart the way it went together" suggestion is by far the best, I've beat and cut my way into more trouble trying to save time than I care to remember. Unless you have access to some serious machinery ( read 50k lb excavator) trying to break it apart will probably just turn into frustration. I assume there is an overhead crane in this shop, and even the largest machines rarely have any single casting so big that you couldn't rent a trailer from uhaul and drag her into the yard a piece at a time. Sounds like fun

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I do plan to disassemble the machine in order to scrap it. My question was on the best way to break apart the cast iron tower and the cast iron base. A cutting torch will not work on cast iron, this I learned a few years ago. What I have come up with so far is to use a gas powered metal saw with a metal cutting wheel and cut a 1/2" scoring line, then, using a drill, drill through the base with a 3/4" bit, every two feet or so. Then using the biggest and meanest sledge hammer I can find to break it up in small enough pieces to remove and haul away.

At the company, I have access to a 2 ton overhead hoist, a 8,000lb forklift and any tools that I don't already own. Still using these tools/equipment, this will be a major undertaking for me. Especially considering I will be doing it alone AND after hours, when I get off from work.

Thank you so much for the tips and advice. The SMF never fails to come through for me when I need it. Again, Thanks So Very Much!!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to theelectronrecycler for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    just a little update. my boss is dragging his feet on making a decision. i have given up on this entire project. If he approaches me and tells me to take it away for scrap, then so be it, if not, I refuse to continue hounding the man about it.

It really doesnt make much sense to me. He had absolutely no problem with giving me over 18k pounds of steel AND paid me to haul it away, all the time knowing that i was taking it all straight to the scrap yard. Then about 3 weeks ago my Well (water well) went KAPLOOEY and I asked for either one of our company 2% small interest loans and instead of even allowing me to apply he said, naw just bring your trailer in the morning and I will pay you for half the day and give you those two huge pallets of 6"x8"x3\8ths Wall Sqaure Tubing and four 35ft DEAD Router Bridges. I mean, that steel netted me well over $2,000 at the scrap yard and he could have sold it himself to the same yard, without paying me to haul it away. BTW the scrap yard that I use is also the same yard that buys all of our scrap at the shop. I mean, don't get me wrong, he helped me just because I needed help and he didnt ask for any % of the scrap earnings.

I am thankful for my job. I got hired with 0 experience and no qualified skills (other than wanting to work, regardless of the task and being able to read a tape measure). And, I am thankful that the company is growing, we are getting more and more customers of late , new parts = new money coming in and some of the new parts we are custom machining or grinding are calling for new machines. That being said there are atleast FOUR completely dead machines, sitting, taking up space, not having been operated since the late 1980's and instead of arranging for me to break the machines down on my spare time and getting a full 50% split and using that $$$ to put towards new machinery, he just ignors the giant beasts and allows them to sit, not moving in over 20 YEARS !!!!!, MAking $0\hr. Is it just me or does this make sense to you guys and gals(question mark key doesnt work) Ha.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If you were my son I would tell you, "Sounds like you have a heck of a nice boss. He may have a plan that you are not aware of, so keep working hard and don't second guess him."

19. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by RustyDollars:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    I wonder if they remind him of when he started the business. Good luck with the possible project. Mike.
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

21. The Following User Says Thank You to miked for This Post:

22. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Scrapping an ultrasound machine and other older medical equipment
      By mrsamsonite in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: 04-16-2014, 04:14 PM
    2. Scrapping a Answering machine First Video
      By gagneet23 in forum Scrap Metal Videos
      Replies: 29
      Last Post: 11-07-2012, 05:39 PM
    3. Machine Screws