bluemeate started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

i need a frugal, small scrap trailer to keep in the driveway

hey i need a small trailer, maybe a half ton trailer.

i want something i could haul off a car with cuase theres an old toyota camery and an old toyota minivan parked on the side where is the only place i could keep it. also i have a limited very inconvenient space in my house to store scrap so a trailer to store and hual off scrap with would be very convenient since i use my truck for other stuff. ive seen gutted up cars hauled off on tiny little atv trailers sooo im sure i could figure out something without a bigass trailer. probably gonna need help with that too

I drive a ford ranger and it doesnt have one those big tow hitches, just has a hole in the bumper for me to screw on a ball with. says 500lb limit. how much would i have to spend to get one those tow hitches installed?

I have no idea where to start looking, or what i would want in a trailer. i usually drive through city so small is good, but do i want walls or what. is there a good autotrader type site so i could browse and see what would be idea? as i said, ive never had a trailer so i really have no idea what to look for.

Im also looking to do this as cheaply as possible, but dont have too much in the name of tools to really build something.

Last edited by bluemeate; 08-24-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    collecting san joses scrap

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    I think a 4' by 8' trailer would be good, you could use sheets of plywood to build the sides. If you don't over load it you should be able to use the bumber ball, most 4by8 trailers will use a 1 7/8" ball. Just remember the smaller the trailer the harder it is to back up. Hope this helps a little.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 898 Posts
    Alvord iron and salvage
    3rd generation scrapper and dam proud of it

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,332 Times in 513 Posts
    also check out craigslist........ people are always trying to get rid of trailers on there.

There's no genius behind it. It's persistence and listening to people.
    Craig Newmark
    Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.
    Thomas Jefferson

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Hypoman;96333]also check out craigslist........ people are always trying to get rid of trailers on there
    Yea but up here they want new price for their old junk.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Harbour freight or blaines farm and fleet. If you have either near you. They both sell an affordable fold up model. They can be constructed with sides. A lil plywood and creativity could go a ling way for little money. A few trips it will pay for itself.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 898 Posts
    Also try "trailers" in the search box, many posts on cheap trailers and easily built homemade trailers as well including my write up on building a pick up bed trailer

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I bought a class three hitch receiver from amazon for 250. They are easy to install on your own. I also for an 4x8 trailer with a 1ft. Wall. If you are going to do big stuff dont put walls on the trailer but if you are going to do lots of little things or cardboard put walls up.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypoman View Post
    also check out craigslist........ people are always trying to get rid of trailers on there.
    18' Open Home made trailer Tandem

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Harbour freight or blaines farm and fleet. If you have either near you. They both sell an affordable fold up model. They can be constructed with sides. A lil plywood and creativity could go a ling way for little money. A few trips it will pay for itself.
    Wow thats a great idea! Amazing how sometimes the simplest things just slip right on by. Well luckily it didnt you. Thaks for sharing.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    From time to time Costco has them as well.

--Geoff

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    My brother has a small one from harbor freight that I have sitting by my house right now. Plywood floor, small steel sides. back gate that opens up. Not sure of measurment. It's older. I've seen them on C/L for around $100-$125. Unfortunatly I can't pull it with my truck, it sits too angled and I don't like the thought of not being able to see it in the mirrors. Should work well for a Ranger though.

As for a hitch, try C/L or a junkyard. Should be able to pick one up for $50 or less. if none on c/l post a wanted ad.

When I was younger I had a Bronco II with only a bumper mount. Used to pull a utility trailer with quite a bit of weight in it and I never ripped the bumper off or bent it...and it was in pretty rough shape to begin with.

13. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Tips for the Very Frugal.
      By Rusty Nuts in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 02-01-2016, 02:45 PM
    2. Stumbled on this way to scrap if you have a small storage area
      By GentlemanScrapper in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 11-08-2012, 09:10 PM
    3. Trailer removal? Small score
      By landmine in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 12