| Introduce yourself
    Patriot76 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 7,221 Times in 2,256 Posts

Time for an official introduction

Anniversary for a Greenhorn -do not remember doing an introduction

First, sorry for the long post.

Today is the third year anniversary of joining the forum. I was not familiar with forums or internet searches when I joined. As a matter of fact, I had no idea how to spell scrapping. After trying to find the answers I sought, I posted a thread asking for answers. I was land blasted for not doing the research and reading old threads. I almost did not return to the forum. Hopefully I have repaid the debt with contributions.

But the forum has valuable information. So I stuck with it and within three years scraped ten farms, a community water tank, and a major power plant. The water tank project came about because no one else would tackle it. The power plant was a one time post from an individual that needed help solving a challenge. He was blasted by others and I got the job because of my desire to help him.

Other forums I visit realize it is a new members attempt to solve a problem and if they are successful they could be a valuable asset to the forum. It is evident every forum has it's own personality. Another reason I see value in posts that have been answered in the past is that as conditions change so does the responses. The answer I gave two years ago would not apply today with the down turn of prices. New threads allow new members to share their expertise. They may have the piece of information that turns the tables in my favor. By the way, if you have the knowledge, why would you read a new thread on the same topic. Maybe you are scared you might miss something, loose the edge you have, want to share your insight, or you just want to belittle another individual. Let the new members answer the old questions, if you are offended.

The reason for this post is to remind all of us we were all green horns at one time and could either learn from others or the school of hard knocks. Being a retired educator, I have seen too many suffer because of the school of hard knocks. It is great that we refer them to read the old threads, but we should also help them in their quest. As Mechanic has done for years, highlighting old threads that offer the knowledge they seek. The way I see it, if they refuse to read old threads they are only hurting themselves. This is a great forum and I would hate to see us chasing off perspective members just because we want them to pay the price. I am afraid without the new members questions, we would all be sitting around looking at pictures of goats.

I realize every one does not share this perspective and that is good. It allows me to reflect on my view or better defend it. It is time for me to meet my daily quota of beer. You know what they say, you cannot drink all day if you do not start first thing in the morning. Merry Christmas to all.
    Give back more to this world than we take.

2. The Following 16 Users say Thank You for This Post by Patriot76:

Patriot76 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 7,221 Times in 2,256 Posts
    I just read a thread that had me questioning my previous post here. Based on the question I wondered if all deserve our respect. As I pondered this question it dawned on me that I did not know this persons limitations, challenges, lifestyle, ability, or reason for posting their question. Behind the forum curtain, we have no idea who we responded to, but because we are invisible as well we take advantage of the situation. I had to ask myself if I could treat a person the same face to face knowing all their background. As the Native Americans (Indians) saying goes, you will not know a man until you have walked a mile in his moccasins.

4. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Patriot76:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 830 Posts
    Well put, P76, well put

I hope you're healed up for the holidays. Down here we've gotten by pretty slack for the winter, only down to 5 F for the lowest night so far. My grass is still sort of green, must be the "southern" thing of southeast South Dakota (or urban heat island)...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DakotaRog for This Post:

7. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. official data destruction cert?
      By ParkerFlyer4 in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 08-27-2014, 11:44 AM
    2. It"s official
      By Libertytow in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 31
      Last Post: 03-28-2013, 06:02 PM
    3. The official dinner of scrapping is...
      By BigRyan in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 35
      Last Post: 10-03-2012, 03:36 PM
    4. It's official
      By Copper Head in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 08-19-2012, 05:38 AM
    5. Well its official- Just rented a building
      By ResourcefulRecycling in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 08-17-2012, 11:22 AM

Thread Information