anyone got a windows 10 recovery file?

| General Electronics Recycling
    Sirscrapalot started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 3,854 Posts

anyone got a windows 10 recovery file?

As the title says. I need the reboot file for windows 10, sadly their Media Creation Tool is not working for me as it's supposed to so I'm forced to ask if anyone may have the file sitting about they could be so kind to send to a fella, via email.

My main hd took a dump the other day when I went to reboot my computer. An no hope in it repairing it's self. Highly annoying. I have a backup hd that I can put win 10 on but I need the file to do so, an for whatever reason it's not working for me on this laptop I have access to. Driving me nuts.

Don't need a HD..got a backup, an will be buying a replacement one this weekend. Just that windows media creation tool file. My fellow computer fixer up'ers will know about it I reckon.

My thanks a head of time. If your able to help, drop me a pm an I'll be glad to shoot you my email. It's free, so if you got the spare time to get this file, that would be awesome.

Again my thanks.

Sirscrapalot - @*@*@*&&* #&#&^$*@) $($&@& Computer! - Me and anyone else whose had to fix a broken computer for themselves.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,419 Times in 676 Posts
    There could be a couple of different things happening Sir. IMO ... the windows media creation tool is known to be fussy. Sometimes it will burn to a disc but not a USB. Sometimes it's the other way around. ImageBurn is free and they say it works a lot better.

The other thing is that the Win 10 ISO you're using might be corrupt or was written as a one use only kind of thing.

Okay .... so the hard drive in your machine failed. You're going to throw in a new blank hard drive and do a fresh install. What you need is a win 10 ISO. You can get that right from Microsoft. If that's a problem, there's a (legitimate) alternative. Just PM me if you get stuck on something. Glad to help if i can.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrappah for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    You may disregard the prior post.

A friend in the shadows has provided the help needed.

Remember...never trust a hard drive. It'll stab you in the back an quit on you with no notice! Evil little bastards. I lost a few programs but thankfully all my important stuff an hard to replace stuff is on a separate drive. Sadly it lacked a windows install. DOH!

Hard drives are not to be trusted. Break them, an sell them an turn them into spoons.

Thanks!

Sirscrapalot - This spot for Goats.

5. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Sirscrapalot:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,024 Times in 2,351 Posts
    agreed on the HD's.......Never store sensitive files on a hard drive without backup......I may be wrong but a USB Flash Drive is about the most reliable thing I know of to store files on

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I went to an SSD with a traditional hard drive for pagefile & backup. It's the sweetest thing ever.

No moving parts to fail and runs like greased lightning.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinreco View Post
    agreed on the HD's.......Never store sensitive files on a hard drive without backup......I may be wrong but a USB Flash Drive is about the most reliable thing I know of to store files on

not really...Flash drives are pretty sensitive all in all. A regular hard drive is about the best right now since hard media (DVD's etc) have not caught up with today's storage....hopefully the 3D holographic writers that can write to media will catch up and fix that. Just pick up a cheap backup drive and use it (3-4tb runs like $120-150)
    PROFIT is made when you BUY/ACQUIRE NOT when you sell

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappah View Post
    I went to an SSD with a traditional hard drive for pagefile & backup. It's the sweetest thing ever.

No moving parts to fail and runs like greased lightning.
    Not to rain on your parade, but you DO have some issues with SSD drives....and I have one. SSD drives only have so many "writes" you can do to a block, it then "fails". Too many failed blocks, non recoverable drive. ALWAYS use SSD drives for things you do NOT write to as much....for instance, I put my programs on mine and my OS. ALL my data...where I put files, delete them etc, go on a traditional Hard Drive...I generally get WD BLACK Caviar drives (they are server grade, cost about as much as a consumer dirve and still come with 3 yr warranties (ie they are built better since they give 3 yr instead of the typical 1 yr on a consumer drive)).

thought I might point that out. The no moving parts ROCKS...but the memory cells still have write limits....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to webuyselltradestuff for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    @Scrappah...I didn't see that first reply after my OP. My apologies! I'll be dropping you a pm, so as not to bore everyone else who might be tempted to view this thread.

Far as the rest you guys bring up good points. WBSTS thanks for mentioning the one you prefer. I've not decided on what the new one will be, but it's going to be new, that much I do know. Will also be going from 500gb to at lest 1tb. Seen some decent pricing for 3tb. I may just do the first, then get 1tb external. Between the new one, my one with my music, etc, and an external I should be safe for a bit, or at lest have some insurance if one goes. lol.

@mike...never been a big usb fan for storage. To small an easy to lose for me. I tend to misplace stuff..looking at you car/house keys, so no usb storage for me..lol.

I've always been a fan of Western Digital HDs. Had a couple in prior rigs, an then had an external one that lasted a very long time.

Anyhow, my thanks folks. I appreciate your thoughts, advice an all that.

Sirscrapalot - Taco Cat, spelt backwards spells...Taco Cat. - Some meme or something.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by webuyselltradestuff View Post
    Not to rain on your parade, but you DO have some issues with SSD drives....and I have one. SSD drives only have so many "writes" you can do to a block, it then "fails". Too many failed blocks, non recoverable drive. ALWAYS use SSD drives for things you do NOT write to as much....for instance, I put my programs on mine and my OS. ALL my data...where I put files, delete them etc, go on a traditional Hard Drive...I generally get WD BLACK Caviar drives (they are server grade, cost about as much as a consumer dirve and still come with 3 yr warranties (ie they are built better since they give 3 yr instead of the typical 1 yr on a consumer drive)).

thought I might point that out. The no moving parts ROCKS...but the memory cells still have write limits....
    Completely agreed.

There are some downsides to the SSD's. I guess it's all situational in how you use your machine. ie: I've got one machine set up with an 80 gb SSD and the performance is really good. The total for OS, programs, and data seldom exceeds 25 gb so there are plenty of spare blocks.

There is one issue that i've run into. The SSD's don't easily allow for (pagefile) virtual memory. You have to rely on physical memory installed. With 4 gb DDR 3 installed there are a few programs that tend to hang for lack of memory. I'm going to upgrade to 16 gb within the next few days and see if that resolves the issue. I back up the SSD every so often so when it does eventually fail it won't be a big deal.

It's a hard call on the traditional hard drives. I'm seeing an awful lot of WD blue laptop failures. The Seagates seem to fare a little better. There seem to be two issues involved:

1: Physical damage and likely head crash due to the laptop being dropped.

2: Data corruption of the OS because the battery powered laptops didn't power down correctly.

In a way .... an SSD would help resolve both of these problems because there are no moving parts and power consumption is much lower. They're particularly useful in the smaller devices like tablets and such.

You do run into problems with bad sectors on a traditional hard drive. That's why a 160 gb HDD might only read 149 gb available. At least a part of that spare capacity is in blocks that can be swapped in as sectors go bad. Never seen it before, but in theory the HDD will probably warn you of it's about to run out of spares so you can swap it out before it fails.

I guess times have changed. HDD's measured in Terabytes are pretty much the standard now. I don't know how you could effectively manage something of that size. The operating systems these days tend to compile a lot of useless data. If you give em' room to run they'll hog up 100's of gigabytes of junk you don't need on your machine and significantly slow the whole works down.

Not really saying that one thing is better than another because it's all situational. I guess there are pro's and con's to each way of doing things.

Best anyone can do is weigh their options and choose the thing they think might work best for them.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I could never go back to an old school hard drive. Just for my music alone I'd have to have a dozen or so 100gb hd's. lol.

I've got something like 6,000 songs on my computer, a hundred movies or so, not to mention, books(I keep my Kindle collection on my tower as a backup), games, and other assorted programs.

I had a 1tb of storage before all this went down. I knew I'd need more, heh. Kept deleting things I didn't need to make space. So the hard drive biting it was kind of a good thing, it spurred me into finally getting something new. Now using a 2tb external for all my crap and backup, along with a 500gb for another back up of windows, an then a 180 I'm using to hold windows. May eventually swap the 180 an the 500. Most likely end up getting rid of the 180 down the road. I like my new 2tb external tho. Western Digital, an I've had them before. I usually get a good long life out of them.

I do agree tho on computers gathering a ton of worthless crap. I personally use CCleaner to keep the junk in check. Used it on my wife's laptop earlier in the week when I didn't have my tower, an I think I removed something like 3gbs worth of crap with it.

At the end of the day tho, people like what they like. Where I'll use a mix of tb, gb, etc. I got friends that won;'t buy a hard drive below 4tb storage.

A good weekend to you all.

Sirscrapalot - Wah waah wah wah - Parent's from Charlie Brown cartoons.

14. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Someone already attempted to file an accident claim against me
      By NobleMetalWorks in forum Non Metal Recycling
      Replies: 32
      Last Post: 04-18-2015, 11:05 PM
    2. Learned not to file a Workers Comp Claim....
      By andrew1990 in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 10-07-2013, 06:09 PM
    3. Can i just use a file to sharpen my smaller cutting tools?
      By GentlemanScrapper in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 11-19-2012, 12:31 PM
    4. Replies: 9
      Last Post: 02-02-2012, 09:17 PM
    5. compaq 3000 file server
      By GeorgeB in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 09-19-2011, 09:33 AM

Thread Information