Hello scrappers

| Introduce yourself
    TexasUBC started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Hello scrappers

I am starting a route to collect aluminum cans and clean food cans as a way to make money and keep it out of the landfills. Cities have recycling routes and they charge residents to collect their recyclables. I am contacting them (in person) asking if I can collect their cans for free. My goal is to have 4000 households to collect from on a monthly basis. I have worked out the details to get the route started. I am not and will not take the cans (physically)from the collection bins of each household. I have the homeowner put them aside for me to collect on a scheduled date with their permission. You may think that 4000 house holds is a lot to collect from but once I have everyone on the schedule 200 households a day would take about 5-8 hours day. It will take me a while to get there but, one can at a time, one household at a time adds up (compounding). UBC's and food cans are a consumable product that everyone uses everyday. It's a great repeat business.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Huh. Now you've give me an idea. I wonder how I can get 4000 households to give me a dollar once a month?

Oh, and welcome aboard.
    AMERICAN BORN, AMERICAN BRED! AND I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to skylinejack for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    Ponder hmmm....your a stone toss away from me..I am just east of Denton lmao.

If you ever come by computers I will be your buyer. You should pop down to my warehouse and poke around a few...I will tell you all the ins and outs of the systems =P

P.s...If you can get veg oil and or motor oil....I will love to buy it...
    My company name was Easy Recycle but has since been closed
    My Name Stephan Harz
    My YouTube page

5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by easyrecycle:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    So it seems opportunity has knocked on your front door, answer it. Go see Easy, Mike.
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

7. The Following User Says Thank You to miked for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    TexasUBC.
    Have a look around shops or places that have Coke machines & see if you can put your own bin in there, just for cans.

I did it with one shop & got a large plastic sack of cans every few weeks (5Kgs = US$4~$5).
    I just had to supply the sacks & clean up around it, they made the sign for it.
    Then I had to take the full sack away promptly.
    The cans got sorted, squashed a little (saves space, checked theres nothing else in it (yah don't want to know....) & when crushed into a brick, they keep stuck together)

The shops changed ownership now & don't have the machine, but the idea worked well.

Actually, by the time I had a load of metal (sacks & sacks of Ali, stainless steel & copper wire) ready for the scrappers,
    & no vehicle...
    I had enough cans to pay someone to give me & my metal a lift to the scrappers.

Then I could pay them & leave & they had the rest of the trip to do whatever else they wanted to, with gas paid for..
    Win, win & win
    Last edited by eesakiwi; 01-06-2012 at 12:32 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eesakiwi for This Post:

TexasUBC started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eesakiwi View Post
    TexasUBC.
    Have a look around shops or places that have Coke machines & see if you can put your own bin in there, just for cans.

I did it with one shop & got a large plastic sack of cans every few weeks (5Kgs = US$4~$5).
    I just had to supply the sacks & clean up around it, they made the sign for it.
    Then I had to take the full sack away promptly.
    The cans got sorted, squashed a little (saves space, checked theres nothing else in it (yah don't want to know....) & when crushed into a brick, they keep stuck together)

The shops changed ownership now & don't have the machine, but the idea worked well.

Actually, by the time I had a load of metal (sacks & sacks of Ali, stainless steel & copper wire) ready for the scrappers,
    & no vehicle...
    I had enough cans to pay someone to give me & my metal a lift to the scrappers.

Then I could pay them & leave & they had the rest of the trip to do whatever else they wanted to, with gas paid for..
    Win, win & win
    Thanks for the advise eesakiwi. I will be going to businesses as well as residential households. The bins are a great idea. I may do that in the future but, for now I am just a one man operation with a half ton pick up truck. I am planning my work and working my plan.

11. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Replies: 13
      Last Post: 09-16-2013, 02:34 PM
    2. Hello Scrappers!
      By JollyLlama in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 06-05-2012, 08:35 PM
    3. N.C. Scrappers saying hello
      By metaldragon in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 05-27-2012, 07:48 PM
    4. Hello all scrappers